Technology Committee Meeting – May 20, 2015

Technology Committee Meeting – May 20, 2015

MOBAC Technology Committee
Meets 3rd Wednesday of each month

2014/15 Chair: Stacy DeMatteo, Naval Post-Graduate School

May 20, 2015 from 2:00 – 4:00
Cabrillo College Library

Present: Stephanie Staley (Cabrillo), Steve Watkins (CSUMB), Stacy DeMatteo (NPS), Chris Ricker (MCFL), Kristen Cardoso (MIIS)

DRAFT Minutes

  1. Today’s recorder: Kristen Cardoso
  2. Agenda review: agenda approved as submitted
  3. Minutes of the April 15, 2015, meeting were approved. Steve reported that the MOBAC website has changed and the meeting room survey has been replaced by a new searchable library services page. He will talk to Georg about making the survey results available again.
  4. Admin Council: The next meeting will be June 12, 2015. Kristen will attend, as possibly will Stacy.
  5. Hands on workshop
  • The virtual meeting software workshop was well-attended, with one member of the general public attending at CSUMB. Feedback sheets from attendees at Cabrillo were scanned and uploaded to the website; feedback sheets were not collected from attendees at CSUMB.
  1. Admin Council Virtual Meeting recommendation
  • Zoom in particular stood out based on feedback from attendees and the Committee will be recommending to Admin Council that two Zoom accounts be purchased. Steve will draft the recommendation.
  • Chris and Stacy will conduct a quick test meeting using MegaMeeting, the virtual meeting software currently in use by Admin Council.
  1. OCLC Worldshare Discovery, impacts on the MOBAC Regional Catalog
  • With the replacement of OCLC FirstSearch and WorldCat with OCLC Worldshare Discovery, the Committee needs to consider the future of the MOBAC Regional Catalog, which can currently be accessed through CSUMB.
  • Steve suggested that a survey needs to be done to find out which MOBAC libraries still have their holdings appearing in WorldCat. It was discussed whether this would be an Admin role, or even a primarily ILL Committee issue. Kristen will talk to the ILL Committee and report back.
  • CSUMB, Marina, Watsonville, and UCSC were identified as possible locations for the new regional catalog.
  • Steve also asked whether or not PLP will continue to provide funding that was being used by public libraries for FirstSearch.
  1. New business
  • Stacy reported that Ashlee Wright has taken a position as city clerk for Carmel and no longer works for the library. As such, she is also no longer a member of the Committee.
  • Ashlee reported that there were no other libraries on the list of hosts for future meetings.
  • Stephanie requested that a discussion about chair elections and the meeting schedule for the summer be added to the agenda for our next meeting.
  1. Public comment: none
  2. Next business meeting is: June 17, 2015
  3. Next business meeting place: Possibly MIIS or the library at the Hopkins Marine Station.
Scroll to Top