Technology Committee Meeting: February 19, 2014

MOBAC Technology Committee
Meets the 3rd Wednesday of each month

2013/14 Co-Chairs: Stacey DeMatteo, Naval Post-Graduate School

Ashlee Wright, Harrison Memorial Library


February 19th from 2:00 to 4:00

Pacific Grove Public Library / Little House, Jewell Park


Attendance: Steven Silveira (PGPL), Deborah Stephens (Hartnell), Kris Amaral (SPL), Stacey DeMatteo (NPS), Steve Watkins (CSUMB), Chris Ricker (MCFL), Ashlee Wright (HML)

Meeting Minutes

  1. Today’s recorder:  Ashlee Wright

  2. Agenda Review

  3. Approve minutes from last meeting: Minutes approved.

  4. Sign-up sheet for meeting hosting: Sign-up sheet sent around. Still need hosts for 04/16/2014, 05/21/2014, 11/19/2014, 01/21/2015, 04/15/2015, 05/20/2015, 06/17/2015. We will recirculate at the next meeting. The dates are not set in stone, so if we need to move a meeting it won’t be a problem. The creation of this list is at the direction of  MOBAC Admin.

  5. Hands on workshop planning:

    1. Chris Ricker – John Perry Barlow: Working on funding for rooms  (one night) for John Perry Barlow and the ALA speakers (see c. below). Working on focused topics for panel discussion by sending out a survey to MOBAC and PLP (see g. below). Discussion about a lunch to follow the workshop. Chris will ask the speakers if they would be willing to participate. If the committee goes forward with this, tech committee members would nominate other participants from the library community to participate to continue the workshop discussion. Library directors may also be solicited for their opinions as to good candidates for lunch attendance.

    2. Tentative workshop schedule:

      1. 9:00-9:30am Arrrival / Coffee / Refreshments

      2. 9:30am Start/ Intro / Keynote speaker: John Perry Barlow

      3. 10:30am ALA Intellectual Freedom representative

      4. 11:00 – 11:15am Break

      5. 11:15am – 12:15pm Panel discussion: John Perry Barlow, ALA Intellectual Freedom representative, Mary Minow? (or other local/law/library representative) vendor representative? (Steve suggested Stephen Roker from Recorded Books as a potential speaker. Does anyone want to contact him? This wasn’t decided at the meeting.)

      6. 12:30 pm  Lunch

    3. Kris Amaral – addition of Chris Conley to the panel: The committee decided against the addition of Chris Conley (ACLU) to the panel to keep the workshop focused on intellectual freedom/privacy and libraries.

    4. Deborah Stephens – Mary Minow and the ILL Committee: Ashlee will contact Mary Minow to see if she would either participate in the workshop or recommend someone local/law/library oriented to be an addition to the panel. Chris is going to approach admin to see if they will a lot us more funds to help pay for a room for one night for John Perry Barlow and the ALA Intellectual Freedom speakers. Deborah will talk to the reference committee to see if they would be willing to co-sponsor, and Stacey will talk to the ILL committee.

    5. Workshop location: Workshop location will be Cabrillo.

    6. Possible presentation at Internet Librarian: A report about the Workshop at the Internet Librarian conference 2014 was decided against because the March 6th deadline would not give the committee time to prepare a proper proposal.

    7. Pre-workshop survey about privacy for MOBAC/PLS members: Chris Ricker brought a rough draft of the survey that will be sent out to MOBAC members and PLP before the workshop. The committee made edits and suggestions. Ashlee will make the updates on survey monkey and circulate it to MOBAC Tech for final approval before sending it out to the broader audience. The survey will end Friday, March 14. We will analyze the data at the next meeting. This should help us to give topics to the speakers that they can address that would be useful to the audience.

  6. New business: none

  7. Public Comment: none

  8. Next business meeting is:  Wednesday, March 19, 2014

  9. Next business meeting place: Cabrillo


Scroll to Top