Present: Don: Salinas, Susan: Watsonville, Jane and Ben: MPL, Jeanne: Santa Cruz, Leslie: MCFL
Next Meeting: Dec 16, Steinbeck Library, 9-12:00
The first part of the meeting will be at the library, and then we will walk to Chapala Restaurant for a Holiday Brunch. The new president (to be announced) will be treated to brunch.
Action Items for Next Meeting
- All: Look at draft of The Parent’s Guide to Graphic Novels and Graphic Booklist. Give suggestions to Ben by Nov 1. The document will be attached to these minutes. At the next meeting Ben will bring a final mock-up.
- All: Bring ideas for workshop topics
- All: Come prepared to say when you can host next year’s meetings
- All: Think about elections and trading assignments
- All: Take SPLAMBA brochures to hospitals
- Don: Check with Donna about funds for publications.
- Don: Reserve Chapala Restaurant
- Susan: Email blog suggestions
Don’s Report to MOBAC Administrative Council
Joint MOBAC Meeting: Ben will speak of idea with Inga
Digital versions of our publications: Ben will check
- “Your Success Begins at the Library” brochure: The Santa Cruz phone numbers are no longer correct. The numbers will be forwarded only until the end of the year so get the brochures out to the hospitals soon.
- Ben distributed a draft of The Parent’s Guide to Graphic Novels and Graphic Booklist. Give suggestions to him by Nov 1. At the next meeting Ben will bring a final mock-up. Ben suggests we use abgego.com for printing. Don will find out how much money we have to spend.
MOBAC Reference Workshop Report: Ben and Jane
Summer Reading: One World, Many Stories
- Idea: Send a postcard to the library, get a prize
- Idea: Circulate a community box, traveling to all branches or circulate Traveling Pants
- Parents as Teachers
- Kids, Computers and Literacy,
- Public and School Library Partnerships in Difficult Times. (Possibility of tying in this topic with Monterey Public’s Day grant?)
- Bring ideas to the next meeting; we will choose a topic then.
The same slate was nominated for next year. If anyone would like to trade jobs, contact Don. We will vote next meeting. The new president will be treated to the Holiday Brunch.
New Calendar: Be prepared at the next meeting to say when you can host.
Other: Susan asked for suggestions for Readers in Spanish. Don suggested she try Ekere Publishers.
Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger
Stone Rabbit by Erik Craddock
El Libro del Cemeterio by Neil Gaiman
Clementine, Friend of the Weak by Sara Pennypacker
Runaway Mummy by Michael Rex
The Little Yellow Leaf by Carin Berger
Spells by Emily Gravett
When a Monster is Born by Sean Taylor (also in Spanish)
Bunny Days by Tao Myeu
Calamity Jack by Shannon Hale
A Family of Readers by Roger Sutton
Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy by Denise Fleming
Knuffle Bunny Free by Mo Willems
There’s Going to be a Baby by John Burningham
Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
Card Turner by Louis Sachar
Hunger Games – Audio
Midnight for Charlie Bone by Jenny Nimmo
Little Keith by Anne Ylvisaker (local author, like Richard Peck, great website, possible guest)
Welcome to My Neighborhood! A Barrio ABC by Quiara Alegria Hudes