Technology Committee Meeting – January 20, 2016

MOBAC Technology Committee
Meets the 3rd Wednesday of each month

2015/16 Co-Chairs: Glenn Tozier (MPC), Kristen Cardoso (MIIS)

January 20, 2016 from 2:00 to 4:00

Watsonville Public Library

Present: Stacy DeMatteo, NPS; Steve Watkins, CSUMB; Kristen Cardoso (MIIS), Randall Vevea (Watsonville), Mayra Ortiz (Watsonville)


  1. Today’s recorder: Kristen Cardoso
  2. Agenda Review – approved with no additions
  3. Approve Minutes from last meeting – approved with one small correction:
    • Correct spelling of Glenn (not Gleen)
  4. Admin Council Report: Kristen reported that MOBAC has suspended further action on their Goals and Action Plan until PLP completes their own strategic planning. Elections for Admin Council will be in June. Susan Hildreth expressed interest in our Zoom trainings and asked that information be sent to her and Donna Truong once it is available. The next meeting will be February 12th in Watsonville.
  5. Workshops/Trainings:
    • It was decided that rather than host a dedicated workshop to Zoom, the next Technology Committee meeting will be opened up to everyone to connect with us via Zoom. Kristen will reach out to Admin Council to ask if they would like her to do a quick introduction to Zoom, and will attend other committee meetings as a “Zoom missionary” as well. Everyone will work on putting together a short set of instructions with links to Zoom tutorials.
  6. MOBAC Regional Catalog Survey:
    • It was decided that due to limited resources to build a new catalog, low usage of the old catalog as demonstrated by the survey, the fact that not everyone’s holdings are in OCLC or up-to-date, and that not everyone will be moving from FirstSearch to Discovery, the Technology Committee will not be moving forward with creating a new Regional Catalog. Although the survey demonstrated interest in a new catalog, it was not enough to warrant the effort with the resources we have.
    • Kristen will draft an email regarding this decision to send out first to the Technology Committee, and then to the MOBAC info listserv.
    • As an alternative to the Catalog, Steve will add links to individual library catalogs on the MOBAC website. On the top-level page, under Directory, there will be a new tab called MOBAC Member Library Catalogs.
  7. MOBAC YouTube channel & closed-captioning:
    • Deborah verified our mobactechcom account on YouTube, and determined that the maximum file size we can upload is 128GB, with an 11 hour maximum duration.
    • Steve discussed how one of the problems with the current procedure is that after a recording is made, someone needs to compress the file and upload it, which often falls to him.
    • Stacy asked if we could ask Admin Council about the recordings, as maybe it is not worth doing them anymore. There are often problems with the recordings in addition to the workload involved in making them available. Steve responded that we do not currently know what the usage is on any of the videos, and having them on YouTube would give us usage statistics. YouTube may also allow us to directly take the file off the camera and upload it. It was decided that we would give YouTube a chance, and all committees could upload videos to our mobactechcom account.
  8. New business – None
  9. Public Comment – None
  10. Next business meeting is: 02/17/16 – 2:00-4:00
  11. Next business meeting place: To be determined.
Scroll to Top