MOBAC Technology Committee
Meets the 3rd Wednesday of each month
2013/14 Co-Chairs: Stacey DeMatteo, Naval Post-Graduate School
Ashlee Wright, Harrison Memorial Library
August 21, 2013 from 2:00 to 4:00
Monterey Public Library
Attending: Ashlee Wright, co-chair (HML), Doug Holltzman (MPL), Randall Vevea (WPL), Deborah Stephens (HCL)
- Today’s recorder: Deborah Stephens
- Agenda Review: no changes
- Approve Minutes from last meeting: minutes of June 21 are unavailable
- Admin Council Report:
- Admin are still working to address the issue of liaison attendance at committee meetings. Georg Romero is the new Tech liaison, with Jayanti Addleman as backup. The ILL committee is holding all of their meetings at the library of their representative. For committees with roaming meetings, it was suggested that perhaps the Admin Council representative of the library hosting could attend briefly to give a report. Members present felt that it was preferable to have a consistent liaison, but a brief report would be better than none. Attendance by phone was also considered.
- The state has allocated funds for CENIC (Corporation for Education Network Initiatives in California) hig-spped network. Public libraries have been asked to fill out a broadband survey.
- Additional notes received after the meeting:
- Committee Annual Reports are due in October.
- PLP will be sponsoring first-year memberships for ENKI a Califa ebook collection. Will work with apple products, but not Kindles. SFPL is a test Library and Ashlee Wright will share her library card number so that people can try it out. Document storage will also be available through ENKI.
- PLP innovation grants are coming up.
- Admin Council will be having a retreat day February 28th, likely in Marina, so discuss the direction of MOBAC. Members of individual committee welcome and encouraged to come. Jane Light will facilitate the meeting.
- $750 PLP mini-grant may be offered again after October meeting
- Hands on workshop planning: Writing for the Web, October 18, 2013 at MPC
- Traveling MOBAC Workshops: PLP are impressed by our committee workshops, and would like us to explore the possibility of repeating/recreating them at 1-2 PLP libraries. PLP has funds available for travel expenses, speaker stipends, etc. Those present felt that it could be feasible, depending on the specific of each workshop.
- New business: none
- Public Comment: none
- Next business meeting is: September 18, 2013
- Next business meeting place: TBD