Technology Committee Meeting – January 17, 2020 – SPL

Location: Salinas Public Library 

John Steinbeck Branch

350 Lincoln Ave, Salinas, CA 93901

Zoom:  https://zoom.us/j/780648930

Co-Chairs: Kristen Cardoso (UCSC), Katie O’Connell (HML) 

Attendees: Kris Amaral (MCFL), John Brady (CSUMB), Kristen Cardoso (UCSC), Katharine Dixon (SPL), Alicia Martinez (WPL), Katie O’Connell (HML)

Today’s recorder: Katie O’Connell

Old Business:

Agenda review: Approved

Approve minutes from last meeting: Approved without correction

MOBAC Reports:  

Admin Council:

  • Mobac website: Admin Council discussed options for bringing the website fully into compliance with agenda access requirements, including the possibility of piggybacking on PLP’s current website.
  • Funding requests: Request for $100 for the Technology Committee’s spring 2020 workshop was approved; the Committee can also request funds for replacement batteries and sound-projecting microphones as needed.

New Business:

Discuss “Be a Data Champion at Your Library” training and share the results of data audits

  • We found the training found it very useful, especially the first half about conducting a data audit and assessing why you’re collecting the data that you are.
  • Most of us found that our libraries collected statistics for required reporting (to the state, city, county, library board, etc.), and in many cases continued to collect outdated statistics that were no longer required.

Mobac Website

  • Receive report from committee co-chairs on a possible update of the Mobac website
    • Katie and Kristen met with Ashlee Wright (Library Director for HML, Admin Council vice-chair) and two representatives of PLP, Yemila Alvarez and Carol Frost, to discuss changes to the Mobac website and the possibility of piggybacking on PLP’s current website. Ashlee will lead a working group of Mobac committee chairs to assess the website’s current structure and make recommendations about keeping/removing content.
  • Review the Technology Committee section of the website 
    • We only use the website to post our agendas and minutes, and generally don’t use it for any of the other information posted.
  • Discuss the possibility of using a digital workspace like Basecamp
    • We would be interested to try a workspace like Basecamp for our committee work, especially as our current solutions (Google Drive, email) are not always easy to access or organize.

Accessibility

  • Discuss workshop format and logistics
    • We discussed the best format for the workshop and decided on a combination of presentations from outside presenters who could speak on accessibility and technology from various perspectives, and hands-on time for attendees to test accessibility checkers and other evaluation tools on their own websites.
    • Katie will check with Glenn if there’s a computer classroom at MPC that could be used for the workshop, since that would make the hands-on portion easier.
    • We’re considering creating a handout/postcard/etc to point to our manual and possibly some of the most relevant resources.
  • Discuss next steps for and assign sections of the accessibility manual
    • We will all try to find and contact a potential presenter.
    • Katie will work on the outline for the manual so we can assign sections at the next meeting.

Public comment: None

Next business meeting place:  February 21, 2020 — 2-4pm, UCSC

Comments are closed.