Technology Committee Meeting – January 17, 2018

January 17, 2018 from 2:00 – 4:00

Place:  Salinas Public Library

350 Lincoln Ave, Salinas, CA 93901

Zoom:  https://zoom.us/j/503170461

Co-Chairs: Kris Amaral (MCFL), Deborah Stephens (HCL)

Today’s recorder: Mila Rianto

Attendees:

Kris Amaral (MCFL), Deborah Stephens (HCL), Kim Smith (MPL), Stacy DeMatteo (NPS), Katie O’Connell (HML), Mila Rianto (SPL), Cary Ann Siegfried (SPL – Admin Council), Kristen Cardoso (MIIS), Alicia Martinez (WPL)

Old Business

Agenda review: no changes

Approve minutes from last meeting – approved

MOBAC Reports: 

  • Admin Council:  Deborah attended. Will need to submit funding request for replacement battery for the camera at the next meeting. It was mentioned that there was a discussion about timing of the funding request.
  • MOBAC RefReference Workshop on October 27 (9-12), Marina Branch (MCO) – “Beyond the Reference Desk with Dr. Veronica Neal Ed.D.
  • SPLAMBA: will host a workshop on Friday, March 23 in Watsonville on Diversity in Children’s Literature, also compiling a booklist—no poster yet.
  • ILL:
    • Quarterly Meetings – Committee will continue with quarterly meetings on the second Tuesdays.
    • Meeting time has been extended to 1:00-3:30 pm.
    • OCLC TIPASA – Committee discussed the new ILL product from OCLC, TIPASA. Decided to wait until the product is more robust/free of problems, will eventually replace our current ILL products?
    • Welcome ILL Representatives – The Committee welcomed our new ILL representatives:  Solomon Blaylock (Middlebury Institute of International Studies at Monterey), Mezairah Niduaza (Hartnell College Library), Donna Teresa (Monterey Peninsula College)
    • Announcements: “search query” problems and issues with OCLC WorldCat Discovery have been mostly resolved. MOBAC ILL staff can now search in Discovery and get the “Most Widely Held” titles closer to the beginning of the title list which makes things smoother for ILL purposes.
    • Problem sharing/solving Get it Now (OCLC Product) – Committee decided that using this product is too expensive in the long run, and that many articles could be retrieved/received using other sources with less expenditures and in some case, in the same amount of time.
    • MOBAC Courier – Committee discussed courier services, and whether it was worth continuing with this service. After some discussion it was decided to leave as is, as various libraries utilize this service for many situations other than ILL.
    • Kristen mentioned that the ILL committee also wanted to see the video from our last workshop. Deborah will be posting the video soon.
    • Alicia said that Watsonville might be using a different, non-OCLC ILL system. She will check and get back to the committee with information.
  • Literacy:  MOBAC Literacy/NCCLLN will host a workshop: The Computer in your Hand on Wednesday, January 17, in Marina from 9-12.

New Business

Kris said that there will be no Spring workshop because of scheduling issue and asked everyone for topic ideas for future meetings as well as for the Fall workshop. The committee agreed to do online video training on SQL for next meetings. Stacy will check on the last training video watched by the committee. She also suggested that we get an external mic for Zoom meetings.

Public comment – none

Next business meeting place:  February 21, 2018 – HML

Comments are closed.