Technology Committee Meeting – September 20, 2017

MOBAC Technology Committee

Meets the 3rd Wednesday of each month

2017/18 Co-Chairs: Kris Amaral (MCFL), Deborah Stephens (HCL)

September 20, 2017 from 2:00 – 4:00

Monterey Public Library

Present: Kris Amaral (MCFL), Deborah Stephens (Hartnell), Kristen Cardoso (MIIS), Katie O’Connell (HML), Stacy DeMatteo (NPS), Glenn Tozier (MPC), Aloha Sargent (Cabrillo), Kim Smith (MPL), Alicia Martinez (WPL), Katharine Dixon (SPL)

Agenda

  • Today’s recorder: Kristen

Old Business

  • Agenda review: approved
  • Approve minutes from last meeting: approved
  • MOBAC Reports: Admin Council, MOBAC Ref Report, SLAMBA, ILL, Literacy:
    – Deborah attended the Admin Council meeting at CSUMB on Friday, September 15th. PLP allocates funds to the committees twice a year; however, Admin Council’s practice of asking for funding requests on the Annual Reports does not work well with PLP’s timeline. Admin Council is considering changing the funding request procedures so that committees make their requests in March and send their requests to the Admin Council chair. Those present voted in favor of this change, which will be reported back to Admin Council at their next meeting.
    – Deborah also reported that Andrew Yon has replaced Donna Truong, who recently retired, and Carol Frost is the new Systems Director for PLS. PLP is considering opening up funding to member libraries outside of MOBAC, and it is requested that when we have workshops we indicate that they are open to all PLP libraries. Annual reports were given at the meeting.
    – The MOBAC Reference Committee will be having its fall workshop: “Beyond the Reference Desk: Facilitating Social Justice, Equity and Inclusion in Libraries” presented by Dr. Veronica Neal, Ed.D on Friday, October 27th from 9 AM-Noon (refreshments and networking from 8:30-9:00 AM) at the Marina Branch of Monterey County Free Libraries.
    – There were no reports from other committees.
  • Update on Workshop:
    – Kris has spoken to Mike Valenti from VARLibraries about Oculus Rift, Melissa Mendoza from SFPL about their Robotics program, and Kim from MPL about 3D printing for our fall workshop. MCFL, SPL, and Mike would all bring Oculus Rift kits for people to try out at the workshop. MPL has still not yet obtained their 3D printer, but Kim feels she could get her hands on one just for the workshop if theirs hasn’t arrived by then.
    – It was decided to hold the workshop on November 17th from 9:00am-noon with refreshments starting at 8:30am. There would be three demonstrations plus one show and tell, followed by hands-on play with the kits. People would be given 15 minutes on each and then rotated so people can try different things.
    – Kris asked about possibly paying for hotel rooms for the presenters, but the group discussed the past practice of taking presenters out to lunch instead. It may be too expensive to pay for hotel rooms, food, and supplies for the 3D printer.
    – Kristen volunteered to make the flyer, program, and manage RSVPs. Katie will provide food; Stacy will bring coffee. Receipts can be submitted individually to Andrew after the workshop.

New Business

  • Public comment: none
  • Sign-up for meeting locations: No November meeting. December 6th – WPL.
  • Next business meeting is: October 18, 2017
  • Next business meeting place: MIIS

Comments are closed.